In this episode of The Minimalists Podcast, Joshua and Ryan talk about consumerism, the successes and failures of modern society, the price of progress, and whether civilization has actually made us less civilized with author and podcaster Dr. Christopher Ryan, and they answer the following questions:
- Are technological advances primarily benefiting or degrading our society?
- How do I survive and thrive in traditional mating rituals in a world that is becoming increasingly digital?
- How much sacrifice is too much sacrifice?
Joshua & Ryan’s pithy, shareable, less-than-140-character responses. Find more quotes from The Minimalists at MinimalMaxims.com.
- “A watch tells the time; a twenty thousand dollar Rolex tells people you have issues.” —Dr. Christopher Ryan
- “People who say relationships are a lot of work might be in the wrong relationships.” —Dr. Christopher Ryan
- “Enough is in the eye of the beholder.” —Joshua Fields Millburn
- “There’s no such thing as the perfect amount of anything.” —Ryan Nicodemus
Mentioned in This Episode
- Added Value: The Heist
- Added Value: “Wing$”
- Book: Civilized to Death
- Book: Everything That Remains
- Book: Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
- Book: Sex at Dawn
- Book: The Minimalist Rulebook
- Essay: A Rolex Won’t Give You More Time
- Essay: How to Understand Your Values
- Instagram: Jordan Moore
- Instagram: Podcast Shawn
- Instagram: Jessica Williams
- Patreon: The Minimalists
- Podcast: Peter Rollins
- Podcast: Tangentially Speaking
- Subscribe: The Minimalists
- Twitter: @ThatChrisRyan
- Website: Dr. Christopher Ryan
- Website: Colin Wright
- YouTube: Matt D’Avella